Igor Mitoraj

Igor-Mitoraj

Igor Mitoraj

was born in Oederan in 1944 to Polish mother and French father. After studying painting at the Art Institute and the Academy of Krakow, he participates in several group exhibitions. In 1974, the Krysztofrt Gallery in Warsaw hosts his first solo exhibition. In the sixties, after several trips to Paris, Mexico, Greece and the United States, he returns to Italy. In 1979, following his stay in Carrara, he decides to work with marble, beside bronze and terracotta, and it becomes one of his favorite mediums. In 1983 he moves to Pietrasanta, where he still lives. Among his monumental works, the bronze doors created for the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels and Martyrs (the official Italian State church) and Dea Roma along the Tiber in Rome. The sculpture Eroe Elimo, a tribute to the knights defeated by the classical civilizations, is placed on the waterfront of Palermo, between Cala and Corso Vittorio Emanuele, whilst the Fountain of the Centaur is found in Milan. The exhibition at the National Museum of Cast Sant’Angelo in 1985 confirms him as one of the most interesting figurative sculptors since World War II. In 2002 and 2006, he curates the sets and costumes for Manon Lescaut and Tosca by Giacomo Puccini staged in Torre del Lago, and for Aida in 2009 in the Boboli Gardens. He accomplishes that same year the door for the Jesuit Church in Warsaw. Open to dialogue between his works and archeology, following the show at the Trajan’s Market in Rome, he realises in 2011, upon the invitation of Lorenzo Zichichi, the sensational exhibition in the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. Stefano Contini is his gallerist.

 

Tweets

Questo sito utilizza cookie, anche di terze parti, per migliorare la tua esperienza di navigazione. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina o cliccando qualunque suo elemento acconsenti all’uso dei cookie.